Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Remembering the Dragon Lady

It is not often that I sit down to write something about a dear friend of mine, who I've known for years, but last week a fellow Canadian Author, Sandie Bergen passed away unexpectedly.  I first met Sandie back around oh 1998 to 1999 when I started writing.  She was part of a group of people I met through something called the Online Writing Workshop.  Sandie was heavily into fantasy, a genre that I myself have been treading into recently.  In fact it was this group that called me the mafia uncle, and as I was doing zeolite chemistry at the time, Uncle Zeo was born.

I remember it all too well because I believe it was Sandie who commented about a certain author (who has since then won a Nebula and Hugo (I am still unsure how they even did this) who went around trashing the work of freshies (yeah yeah, new lingo for me here).  I took it upon myself to strike back, and man did I ever.  It was epic as it is not often I get accused of using foul language (I used the word damn) and was able to use the Sopranos defense (I said I was discriminated against for being Canadian and the fact that the Sopranos was shown in prime time up here with no censoring, and its not like I used Lord Fuckpants (one of my favorite monikers of all time)).  Anyway, it was from that event I was called the mafia uncle, with my brother, Uncle Jay.

As often happens, we lose contact with many people, but I have stayed in relative good contact with the bulk of this group, and that included Sandie.  She was always ready to give me her opinion on stuff and just sit back and have a good old chat.  I had the opportunity to meet Sandie in real life twice, with her husband, and her children. Those are two meals I remember very well, for it was a good time.  It is one of the few times when you meet someone online and find out they are even nicer in real life.

In one of the last conversations I had with Sandie, she related a story to me that put a lot in perspective for me in life, and it is something I will cherish.  Not only have I lost a good friend who took joy in writing, but we have lost a good author too.  And I will remember her as I carry on with my publications.

I currently have 2 reviews up for Sandie's works at www.thedundassreviews.ca and will be adding a third very soon.   I would encourage all of you to go out and buy at least one of her books.

Sandie, you touched a lot of people not only with your stories, but with your kindness in life. You always put others ahead of you, and were fair and constructive in your reviews of others.  I am sad that your time in this life was cut so short.  I do feel that you will be watching the old group, and in someways, influencing us.  I will miss you.


No comments:

Post a Comment